February 14, 2012

Valentine Cards


Today we made Valentine’s cards, of course.

I had two objectives with this lesson. The first was writing with a purpose with an audience in mind. The second was to use fine motor skills.

I wrote a few possible messages with the students but most of them opted for the one you see below. I think they liked the little pink heart. I left the models at hand if they needed to copy.


It was interesting to observe how each student did the writing. Most would write ‘I’ then glue the heart and finally write ‘U’. The student below decided to write the two letters first and then stick the heart.




I pre cut small hearts so the whole process would not take too long as I have 3 year olds in the group. I gave them four different colors of tissue paper pre cut in small squares. Students could also choose to make more than one card, which very few did.            

Crumpling little pieces of tissue paper is a great fine motor exercise.



It was also a great opportunity for me to observe how the students organized their own workspace and materials as they carried on with the project.


It was nice to see how different they turned out.

Happy Valentines to all! 

Amelia Mello, M.Ed.

No comments:

Post a Comment